Curriculum & SEND
How we adapt the curriculum and learning environment for children with SEND
We believe that inclusive education means supporting all pupils to learn, contribute and participate in all aspects of school life alongside their peers. Our curriculum includes, not only the formal requirements of the National Curriculum, but also a range of additional opportunities to enrich the experiences of our children. Our curriculum also includes the social aspects that are essential for life-long learning, personal growth and development of independence.
We adapt the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with SEND by:
- Using a range of teaching and learning styles
- Differentiated learning materials.
- Access to ICT and Technology
- Providing additional in class support
- Providing additional out of class support, in some circumstances
- Providing enrichment and enjoyment opportunities to stimulate and motivate learning
- Using flexible groupings – including small group work and intervention
- Ensuring that all pupils have access to the school curriculum and all school activities.
- Helping all pupils achieve to the best of their abilities, despite any difficulty or disability they may have.
- Identifying, at the earliest opportunity, all children that need special consideration to support their needs (whether these are educational, social, physical or emotional)
- Ensuring that teaching staff are aware of and sensitive to the needs of all pupils, teaching pupils in a way that is more appropriate to their needs.
- Working in partnership with parents/ carers, pupils and relevant external agencies in order to provide for children’s special educational needs and disabilities.
- Making suitable provision for children with SEND to fully develop their abilities, interests and aptitudes and gain maximum access to the curriculum.
- Ensuring that all children with SEND are fully included in all activities of the school in order to promote the highest levels of achievement.
- Giving every child the entitlement to a sense of achievement.
- Using appropriate rewards and sanctions
- Regularly reviewing the policy and practice in order to achieve best practice.
More details can be found in our SEND, Accessibility and Equality policies, which can be found in the policy section of our website.